BPA receives BCH money; survey under way

September 8, 2017
By

LMA—The Boston Preservation Alliance (BPA) has received the money from Boston Children’s Hospital (BCH) to conduct a survey of the Longwood Medical and Academic Area’s (LMA) historic buildings and has begun the survey, according to BPA Executive Director Greg Galor.

Galor said the survey should be completed by the end of the year.

As part of a memorandum of agreement (MOA) between the BLC and BCH over the hospital’s plan to tear down the century-old 55 Shattuck St. building, BPA is being paid $40,000 for the survey. An MOA is a document formally describing a relationship. That MOA was formed in 2014.

BCH has demolished 55 Shattuck St. building, along with the historic Prouty Garden, and is replacing them with a new clinical building. Site work has begun on the project.

The survey will be used to update and expand existing records held by the Boston Landmarks Commission (BLC) and the Massachusetts Historical Commission.

The Friends of Historic Mission Hill had unsuccessfully petitioned the Boston Landmarks Commission to landmark the 55 Shattuck St. building. That would have prevented BCH from tearing the building down. According to the Friends of Historic Mission Hill, the building was originally a hospital for infants, starting in 1914, before being purchased in 1921 to become the headquarters for the Harvard School of Public Health, according to the statement. During the 1970s, it was purchased by BCH, becoming an administration building.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *