The following is some basic information for students moving into Mission Hill.
- Boston does not have a non-emergency police number. Call 911 for emergency and non-emergency police, fire and rescue.
- Get renter’s insurance. It might seem like an unnecessary expense until you have a break-in, or your upstairs neighbor’s toilet overflows while they’re out of town.
- The City of Boston has many services for renters. Learn about and use them at cityofboston.gov/rentalhousing.
- Mayor Martin Walsh also has a student-oriented guide to city services at cityofboston.gov/students. The Twitter hashtag #boston101 also features tips.
- The City also has a 24/7 hotline for questions or concerns at 617-635-4500 or @NotifyBoston.
- Explore the Problem Properties website (cityofboston.gov/mayor/problemproperties). Learn how to report problem-makers and how to avoid becoming one. Their phone number is 617-504-7003 and it calls a cellphone inside a police cruiser.
- Introduce yourself to your neighbors, give them your contact information and get theirs. It’s just as easy and more pleasant to call them than the police.
- If you have a dog, clean up after it. It’s courteous and city ordinance.
- Shovel sidewalks abutting your residence in the winter. It is your responsibility, not the city’s, to do so.
- Be considerate when throwing parties: let your neighbors know about them and remember, many of them must wake up early even on Saturdays.
- Keep your property tidy.
- Trash pick-ups are on Tuesdays and Fridays; recycling bins should go out with Tuesday’s trash.
- The local public library is the Parker Hill Branch Library, at 1497 Tremont St. The number is 617-427-3820.
- The Tobin Community Center, at 1481 Tremont St., has gym facilities and classes for a $20 yearly membership. It also has youth, family and senior programs. Reach it at tobincommunitycenter.org and 617-635-5216.
- The Mission Hill neighborhood liaison for the Mayor’s Office is Shaina Aubourg, who can be reached at 617635-3485 and [email protected]
- The city councilor for Mission Hill is Josh Zakim. He can be reached at 617-635-4225 and [email protected]
- Patronize local businesses. They love you.
- Get involved in the neighborhood: join cleanups; go to community meetings; voice your opinions. You’re part of the community.
With information from former City Councilor Mike Ross, long-time Mission Hill resident Alison Pultinas and Mission Bar & Grill owner Michel Soltani.